Yacht Life Sciences has a vacancy for an Associate Scientist – Bacterial Cell Banking to work at Johnson & Johnson in Leiden.
For the Bacterial Vaccines department we are recruiting an Associate Scientist to join the Upstream Processes (USP) team as a bacterial cell banking specialist and lab head. Your function is responsible for the production, characterization, and documentation of pre-GMP cell banks (seeds) for vaccine or reference antigen production strains, and to maintain the operational compliance of the cell bank laboratory and equipment. Experimental work will include microbial culture and assays to confirm microbial identity, purity, viability, genetic stability, and functionality. Cross-functional communication with internal and external stakeholders is a pivotal part of the job function.
The Associate Scientist will apply her/his understanding of scientific principles and professional practices to facilitate the cell banking aspects for early-stage vaccine development and transfer from early-stage to late-stage development programs. Importantly, a mindset and skill for proper preparation, execution, and documentation (incl. traceability) of experimental activities is essential.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Lab head cell bank laboratory
- Experimental planning and preparation
- Cell bank production and characterization
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Documentation in electronic laboratory notebook and reports
- Stakeholder management
- Bachelor or Master in a relevant discipline such as biotechnology, bioengineering, and/or microbiology.
- > 3 years of hands-on experience in Life Science industry or relevant internships
- Bacterial culture activities at biosafety level 1 and 2, incl. genetically modified organisms
- Microbial phenotyping, genotyping, and antigen expression assays
- Affinity with MS Office, DNA analysis software, sample databases and alike.
- A fluency in English
- Team player
- Cross-functional communication skills
- High affinity for lab work
- Organized, methodical and conscientious.
- Safety mindset
Terms of employment
We offer a challenging position which allows you to work in a dynamic and international environment, ensuring diversity in your work and creating plenty of opportunities for personal development.
This concerns a secondment contract via Yacht. Full-time (40h) is strongly preferred, working 32 or 36 hours per week can be discussed. We will offer a competitive benefits package in line with your seniority and the seniority of the position. Salary between 3500 and 4400 gross per 4-week period.
- Reimbursement of travel costs
- Holiday allowance of 8,33 % of the yearly gross salary
- ADV 4.2% of hourly wage (i.e. compensation in the form of additional payment)
- 25 vacation days
- Health insurance
- Educational budget
- Equipment for working from home for up to €750
You will become a member of a strong professional network who shares your education, ambitions and competencies.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is working on the discovery- and early development of novel vaccines for bacterial infectious diseases. It strives to address unmet medical needs, such as bacteremia (sepsis) and nosocomial infections. Projects at the Bacterial Vaccines department are primarily structured on scientific- and technical collaboration with external biotechnology partners (governmental and industrial) that are innovative leaders in their field. This working process includes ‘state of the art’ vaccine discovery, with subsequent in vivo evaluation of these vaccine candidates in animal models for immunogenicity and/or efficacy. In addition, manufacturing processes are optimized and established, and the resulting clinical trial material is evaluated in human clinical studies.
Inclusiviteit en diversiteit
Uiteraard staat deze vacature open voor iedereen die zich hierin herkent. We geloven dat diverse teams van belang zijn voor ons als lerende organisatie, die voorop wil blijven lopen in de wereld van werk. Want juist verschillen tussen mensen zorgen voor groei. Van collega's, klanten, kandidaten en daarmee van Yacht. Heb jij een uniek talent? We ontmoeten je graag.