How we do things here
The way we do things here sets the tone for life at ASC. It’s about delighting our customers, trusting each other, being respectful, being decisive and straight talking and being solutions focused.
We’re an ambitious product-led company and we trust that our people will do their best to deliver on their commitments to our customers, so we let them get on with it. We seek people who can show us that they’re passionate about their field of work, show initiative, and are constantly learning so adapt to try new things or take on a different perspective. We expect our people will be great communicators, have strong EQ, be honest, have integrity and be resilient.
We enjoy our rapidly changing environment, which requires flexibility and self-discipline, but in turn we get the chance to be part of a fast-paced business working on transformative technology.
The part you’ll play
As an expanding company we would love to welcome a new Systems Engineer for the Operations Team in Soesterberg, The Netherlands . As a Systems Engineer you’ll work with our sharp team of engineers to maintain our existing AWS hosted infrastructure and troubleshoot incidents to support our customers.
There are currently eight staff based in The Netherlands - three of which are part of the technology team (Software Engineers) and the other five are part of the product sales team. All of these staff support the Author-it product where this role will support both products (Author-it and Docuvera).
Day to day, you’ll work with a combination of Windows and Linux servers, AWS Services, deploying new environments, and performing general operational duties. You’ve got a real knack for spotting where tech can improve process, so you’ll also be constantly working to automate existing manual processes where possible.
You will give 2nd line remote support (no local support) to our clients who log their incidents. For resolving the incident you will use the customer support tool Zendesk. The service window is office hours and you can manage your hours flexible. Early birds can start earlier. If you prefer a later shift, that's no problem. For now, you will be working from home.
Most incidents are Windows related, so if you have a Windows Administrator (on premise) background with some knowledge of Linux and AWS, this might be the perfect job for you. All the technical knowledge is available in the team, so you always have back-up of your global colleagues.
What you’ll focus on
As a Systems Engineer you will have responsibility for:
- level 2 service desk support troubleshooting customer incidents;
- managing and monitoring all installed systems, infrastructure, and integrations;
- technical on-boarding of new customers including database creation and user access;
- install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools;
- proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability;
- monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes;
- liaise with Operations and Technology staff for problem resolution;
- suggesting alternative system elements that may be cheaper;
- considering the ability of the software to grow as users save data to it.
You’ve got a natural drive to improve the way things are done. You can spot where cracks may form early and you love finding the most efficient solution to any challenge, so you’ll enjoy working to automate our server and application deployments. You’ll automate manual processes using tools like CDK, or scripting languages like PowerShell, and closely monitor the security of our platforms, working to improve it where possible.
You’ll work as part of an on-call rotation, which suits you well - because when you’re on, you’re really on. Your razor-sharp focus will see you develop and deploy software with efficiency and accuracy. A key part of your role will be maintaining our existing infrastructure, carrying out O/S patching, AV updates and the like, so you’ll know our platforms inside out and make sure the day to day is running smoothly.
We’ve got big plans for the expansion and improvement of our product offering. So engineers like yourself will play a key role, working with our development teams to plan and support the required infrastructure updates and changes we have in store.
What you’ll bring
It is essential that you bring a growth mindset - you understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication to continuous learning that is outcomes focused with agility to cope with multiple demands and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment. You’re here because you have a unique mix of skills to offer, and we can’t wait to see you put them to work.
In this role you’ll be driven by your desire to solve problems. You love troubleshooting and searching for a diagnosis for any problem - so you’ll be ready to tackle each day’s challenges head on. You won’t be thrown when things change - and they do change, often. When environments change unexpectedly, or tech updates are rolled out, you’ll have no trouble adapting, familiarising yourself and getting straight into bringing our platforms up to speed.
You’re also great with people. Our ever-growing team of developers are a tight-knit bunch who make getting on and collaborating easy, but if you work well with others and value a shared, team effort, you’ll fit right in.
- You have HBO work -and thinking level;
- 3 -5 Years experience as a System Engineer;
- Excellent in English (verbal and writing);
- Living in The Netherlands;
- You have experience on Windows Admin level (at least on premise, preferably Cloud);
- You will have some basic SQL querying skills (Microsoft SQL Server);
- On premise Linux administration skills are helpful.
You will be more valuabel (nice to haves ) if:
- You have any experience with Windows and/or Linux scripting (PowerShell, Python and Bash or other shell flavours);
- You bring experience with network management such as subnets, routing, VPC and VPN management;
- You have experience with Office365 and AzureAD administration;
- You are used to task management using software like Zendesk and Jira.
The most important required competences in this role are:
- You are extremely self motivated;
- You are a self starter and confident;
- You are inquisitive and result driven;
- You have no "nine to five" mentality;
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Here are some of what we currently offer:
- A Digital First, fully flexible, working style;
- An additional 5 days leave - 4 days at Year End and 1 day for your Birthday (New Zealand and Netherlands);
- Stock / Equity Scheme (ESOP);
- Working from home allowances for remote workers;
- Quarterly staff recognition program where you are nominated by any staff member;
- The latest tech to use as work tools;
- Budget for your development and training needs;
- A focus on personal growth, including dedicated ‘tools down’ personal development time and hack days;
- Health and wellness offerings, like Employee Assistance Programme.
Only applicants who can work in The Netherlands without a sponsor we invite to apply, because our client cannot be a sponsor for a work permit unfortunately.
Who we are and what we do
Author-it Software Co. (ASC) is a world leading provider of on-premise and cloud-based products for authoring technical publications, e-learning and pharmaceutical information.
What does that mean for our customers? Our two software platforms, Docuvera and Author-it, enable the transformation of how our customers create and manage their content, leveraging a component first approach where content is broken down, easily assembled into documents, and reused across their organisation.
Our two products serve different industries; Author-it provides Technical Documentation, Learning & Development and Compliance solutions for HighTech, Manufacturing, Energy and more at enterprise scale across the globe, while Docuvera’s focus is solving the problem of inefficiency in managing information across the drug development cycle for Biopharma.
Our global ASC team are a diverse, inclusive committed group of experts who are progressive in their approach and know what makes a great product. Our Technology, Product, Marketing, Sales and Corporate Services teams are based throughout New Zealand, Netherlands, and the United States.
For more company info: https://www.author-it.com/about-asc/
Inclusiviteit en diversiteit
Uiteraard staat deze vacature open voor iedereen die zich hierin herkent. We geloven dat diverse teams van belang zijn voor ons als lerende organisatie, die voorop wil blijven lopen in de wereld van werk. Want juist verschillen tussen mensen zorgen voor groei. Van collega's, klanten, kandidaten en daarmee van Yacht. Heb jij een uniek talent? We ontmoeten je graag.