As a Sr Technician your primary role will be assuring smooth day-to-day operation of our two fully automated assay systems. This will include both providing technical assistance for trained end-users when performing experiments and performing regular maintenance tasks. You will also assume a lead role in monitoring, identifying, and recording any quality issues arising during the automated sample testing process, and initiate recommendations for change. You will provide real-time troubleshooting during equipment malfunctions and arrange repairs with instrument vendors on tight deadlines.
Secondary role will involve improving data management around automated sample testing, requiring programming experience to develop workflows supporting automated sample testing. These workflows include templates for experiment planning, automated generation of instructions for assay execution, post-experiment annotation of raw data, data validation and initial QC assessment of experiment.
In this role you will be introduced to state-of-the-art laboratory automation hardware and software, working in a truly interdisciplinary setting, at the intersection of experimental biology, laboratory automation, and informatics.
- Organize, perform, and document regular maintenance of automated systems and all related equipment
- Communicate with external vendors and service providers, schedule and oversee their visits
- Develop validation methods for integrated instruments
- Manage automation labs and critical supplies, maintain compliance according to quality management system
- Day-to-day support of automated sample testing including on-demand troubleshooting
- Write and maintain documentation (e.g. work instructions, standard operation procedure)
- Design templates and data entry forms, enhance functionality using scripts and macros
- Improve existing workflows and templates based on feedback from Scientists and Research Assistants
- Link data from different workflows to further automate data management and analysis
- Key user of laboratory information system(s) supporting automation
- Systems/ Electrical/ Mechanical engineering
- Programming skills: VBA for Excel, R, working knowledge of SQL (required), NET (preferred)
- Problem solving & analytical thinking, flexible
- Written and oral (presenting) communication skills in English as the job entails teamwork within a diverse and global organization
- Team player, driven, self-motivated, independent
- Well organized, precise, quality oriented
- Self-awareness, you can provide and receive feedback in a constructive way. You make yourself part of discussions and easily connect with people.
- Life science / Laboratory experience is not required, but it is considered as a plus.
MBO3 or higher, in the field of Mechatronics / Systems / Electronics / Electrical engineering
Specific Knowledge and experience
Minimum of 2-4 years’ work experience preferably in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
Experience with laboratory automation systems
Quality management systems such as GCLP and GMP
Project planning and execution
- Time management;
- Goal oriented and accurate;
- Problem solving oriented;
- Pro-active and “can do” mentality;
We offer a challenging position which allows you to work in a dynamic and international environment, ensuring diversity in your work and creating plenty of opportunities for personal development. This concerns a full-time secondment contract for 1 year (extension is possible).
We will offer a competitive benefits package in line with the seniority of the position (salary between 3000 and 4000 euro gross per month). You will become a member of a strong professional network who shares your education, ambitions and competencies. This will enable you to interact with your colleagues and become a member of the YACHT network, which stretches the Life Science industry. You will be challenged by your peers and will be able to follow courses and training via our Yacht Academy and keep your knowledge and skills up-to-date: boosting your career through personal and scientific growth.
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention B.V. is a global biotech company which is part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies. Within this family the facility at the Bioscience park in Leiden focuses on the development, production and marketing groundbreaking medicines against diseases that have a global impact, such as vaccines against HIV, RSV and Ebola. This is also the place where we developed and produce the COVID-19 vaccine to fight the global pandemic.
In our organization, entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen. The offices of Janssen Vaccines & Prevention are located in Leiden.
Inclusiviteit en diversiteit
Uiteraard staat deze vacature open voor iedereen die zich hierin herkent. We geloven dat diverse teams van belang zijn voor ons als lerende organisatie, die voorop wil blijven lopen in de wereld van werk. Want juist verschillen tussen mensen zorgen voor groei. Van collega's, klanten, kandidaten en daarmee van Yacht. Heb jij een uniek talent? We ontmoeten je graag.