Where: The Automotive Campus in Helmond, part of Brainport: the heart of Europe's innovation
Domain: Power Electronics
Experience: 5+ years of professional experience
Degree: Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
Working at Lightyear is a unique experience. You get the opportunity to work for a company with a pure and meaningful mission. A mission that will make a positive and lasting impact on future generations.
What will you do as an Electrical Safety Engineer at Lightyear?
Our main objective at Lightyear is to develop the most efficient long-range solar electric vehicle. However, apart from developing an extremely efficient system, we’re obviously also keen on electrical safety.
Before we go into the context of your role we’d like to give you an idea on where you will position yourself within the organisation. While Lightyear is divided into several circles, all having their own focus, you become part of the Technology circle. That particular circle is responsible for making sure we design and engineer products our customers love. Within the technology circle you become part of the Power Electronics Domain which is part of the Engineering Triangle. This triangle as a whole makes sure we go from requirements up to an actual product including architecture, topology, design, testing, iterating etc.
While all our engineers, coming from different domains, are making sure our vehicle is being engineered according to specs and requirements, it’s up to you to that the vehicle is safe, electrically. Essentially, you do this by being involved right from the start. You’re involved from designing system requirements up to testing and industrializing the high-power (sub-)systems. It’s up to you to embed electrical safety within all the high-power (sub-)systems. For instance, this could include our solar panel battery system, our in-wheel motor and its inverter and ultimately the vehicle as a whole.
While the roles at Lightyear are quite fluid and organic we would like to give you an idea on what your scope is more punctually. Basically, your role is focused on but isn’t limited to;
- Responsible for electrical safety in the vehicle and its (sub-)systems
- Draw up requirements regarding electrical safety across our high power (sub-)systems
- Draw test-plans for electrical safety for these systems
- Write design guides on electrical safety
- Help shaping the vehicle’s architecture to make it electrically safe
- Be the go-to guy or girl with everything regarding electrical safety
- You make sure we comply with all the electrical safety standards
Essentially, it’s your mission to make sure our customers feel safe in their vehicle! To give a more visualized idea on how to achieve this, we’d like to tag you along onto a random day. During your work you will have a look into all high-power (sub-)systems inside (and outside) the vehicle. In the morning you may work on solving an electrical safety problem at the inverters while in the afternoon you are writing electrical safety requirements for the chassis. In the meantime a colleague stops by your desk to ask a question about the Y-rated capacitors. By the end of the day you walk into the lab to assist with some isolations tests. All and all, a diverse job varying from desk-work up to lab-work and everything in between.
What do we expect from an Electrical Safety Engineer?
In order to succeed in the dynamic world of Lightyear; pro-activity, professionalism, communication and adaptability are crucial. We are looking for people with an ambitious attitude who learn from the past (tried and tested) and who strive to set new standards when needed. You can work within the team or independently. You are flexible and can work under pressure. Furthermore, we are looking for someone with:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- At least 5 years of full-time work experience in the field of electrical safety
- Knowledge of norms such as IEC60664, IEC62368, ISO16750, and ISO 6469
- Experience with electrical machine safety (or electric vehicle safety) is a must
- Requirement engineering
- Experience with ISO26262 is a plus
- You’re available for a minimum of 3 days per week
On a personal level you can relate to the following characteristics; you’re people oriented. You’re easily able to interact with stakeholders across the teams. Apart from that, you’re super accurate and you have a strong eye for detail. You bring along calmness and you are concise. Furthermore, since you possess an expertise not a lot of people have, you’re able to explain stuff in layman's terms.
What can you expect from Lightyear?
In addition to a challenging role we also offer:
- A high degree of freedom and independence in your role
- A role within a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly motivated, inquisitive and talented people with a broad diversity of experience
- A role at one of the fastest growing technical companies in the Netherlands with tremendous potential
- 40 vacation days per year
- An interesting and balanced pension through Zwitserleven that is in line with the mission of Lightyear
- The ability to participate via shares and to be involved in the growth and success of Lightyear
- In addition to a dynamic working environment, there is time for relaxation during our already epic Friday afternoon drinks
If there is a match, you will get a direct contract at our client Lightyear.
Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission: clean mobility for everyone, everywhere.
Lightyear originates from the legacy as a multiple world championship of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge® Cruiser Class. Officially established in 2016 by 5 visionaries with the dream to make this groundbreaking technology accessible to everyone, everywhere. In order to accelerate the transition towards a truly sustainable solution for mobility, we believe that it is necessary to completely rethink automotive design by starting from scratch, not limited by industry conventions.
At Lightyear, we all strive for the same goal. We have a team with diverse skill sets and backgrounds; all working tirelessly towards clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. We’re proud of our culture and live up to our core values: think independently, be bold, deliver the change, put people first and take responsibility. Our shared vision is what unites and drives us.
Inclusiviteit en diversiteit
Uiteraard staat deze vacature open voor iedereen die zich hierin herkent. We geloven dat diverse teams van belang zijn voor ons als lerende organisatie, die voorop wil blijven lopen in de wereld van werk. Want juist verschillen tussen mensen zorgen voor groei. Van collega's, klanten, kandidaten en daarmee van Yacht. Heb jij een uniek talent? We ontmoeten je graag.